Thursday, April 2, 2009

When It Rains


I don't know about you, but for the longest time, I hated when it rained. Plans I had made months in advance could suddenly be cancelled. It always felt like a disappointment, rather than an adventure. Yet as I've gotten older, I have begun to see why the rain is so beautiful, and why, even if my plans do have to change as a result, they often change for the better.


I've learned that it rains on everyone. How you decide to respond to the rain is up to you. Sometimes rain can be uncomfortable, maybe even painful. But if we stay inside waiting for it to pass, complaining about the horrible weather all the while, we will lose special opportunities to learn how to dance in the rain. Life often brings difficult choreography, but our attitude in the way we respond will determine whether we give up dancing altogether or come out dancing stronger.


Sure, a little rain never did hurt anyone. But what about when it pours? What happens when the rain just won't stop and you're exhausted from dealing with it? God promises us He will not give us more than we can endure. The reason He's sending the rain is to force us to grow. Without it, why would we ever bother stepping outside of our comfort zones? If we don't open our doors and walk outside, we will miss the amazing adventures God has in store for our lives. Even worse, we will miss the rainbow that often follows a downpour.


So what are you waiting for? Leave the umbrella at home. You won't be needing it on this adventure. Learn how to count your blessings and dance in the rain. When you finally learn how to, it will turn your world upside-down. Instead of wishing the rain would go away and not come again another day, you will look forward to it. To me, there's no greater joy than to walk outside on a rainy day and twirl.


I hope you, too, decide to twirl in the rain.

5 comments:

Ashley said...

Lindsey, me girl, you are officially one of the most brilliantest people I know and you ought to be very proud of yourself. =D

amy said...

I love it!! :)

Lindsey said...

Awww, thanks, you two. =D

Ballerina said...

Wow Lindsey! This is so inspiring. I love it!

julie said...

I FOUND YOU!!!ok, so i'm totally offended you didn't tell me you had a blog--haha, not really. i just feel like giving you a hard time. ;-)

what's been up with you lately, girl? you're home right now, right? <3