Thursday, February 12, 2009

Moments of Wonder

Yesterday we had the most glorious weather. It was 60 degrees, partly sunny, and breezy. The wind that gently hurried me along my way was exhilarating. I felt I could go twirl on some obliging mountain and sing The Hills Are Alive. I took a ten-minute walk in the late afternoon around campus to enjoy the brief respite from winter. While I walked, I paid careful attention to the colors around me. Nature is simply breathtaking, and I noticed things I had not in a long time ~ the way that the tops of trees sway while their trunks remain firmly rooted; the lone bird singing on the roof of a dreary academic building; the white clouds softly painted across the blue sky; the layer of acorns on top of the brown mulch; the individual blades of green grass. I took the time to pray and thank God for His creation. He reminded me that as I face the insanity of the next few weeks, He will give me strength to get through (Isaiah 40:28-31). He often shows me the most amazing moments of wonder in the midst of the most stressful situations. Every day I search for something beautiful. When I recall it before falling asleep, I have often found not just one, but many, beautiful things. I think moments of wonder are God's way of saying He loves us and He's right here with us in the midst of it all. I'm incredibly grateful for those moments. It's because of them that I can take a deep breath and keep dancing through life.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

You're so cool. :D

Lindsey said...

Thanks. You're cooler. =D